Mirror Lake Inn Resort and Spa – Lake Placid, NY
Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa / 77 Mirror Lake Drive / Lake Placid, NY 12946 / 1-518-523-2544
Sitting down to write this review of Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa, I truly did not know where to start.
Do I start with the breathtaking views the resort has from being perched on 7 acres of hilltop overlooking the Adirondack high peaks and Mirror Lake?
How about our lake front cottage adorned with hand-crafted Adirondack furniture including a four poster canopy bed, wood burning fireplace, flat screen TV and Whirlpool?
Or how about watching the mist burn off and sun rise on Mirror Lake from our private balcony? Sitting on the Adirondack chairs late at night watching the stars light up the sky?
Maybe I should start with the aroma that hits you the second you walk through the main entrance of the resort. A mix of wood from the fireplace and Eucalyptus (?) scents from the spa below.
Then there is the friendly, genuine service and warm chocolate chip cookies free for the taking. Why not enjoy them by the roaring fireplace in the lobby and enjoy a game of checkers while taking in the view?
I could always start with the resort’s delicious food at their 4 Diamond Award Winning restaurant, The View.
I think you catch my drift.
Everything about Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa is luxurious but not in a pretentious sort of way.
My partner and I fell in love with Mirror Lake Inn upon arrival.
The location is unparallel as you are walking distance to the heart of Lake Placid, yet feel worlds away.
The lobby is grand and projects the Adirondack culture with it’s rustic decor and ambiance.
Jen and I made sure to take our time appreciating the decor and antiques in the main lobby and common areas, plus we just couldn’t get enough of the aroma sifting through the air!
We were assigned a lake cottage, signature suite L4 (Adirondack Suite) which is located across the street from the resort, directly on the lake.
There is parking for signature suite guests and you are steps away from The Cottage restaurant.
The beauty and tranquility of Mirror Lake is almost impossible to put into words. The gentle sound of the water lapping as a duck slowly floats by.
The sound of birds chirping in the distance. The occasional fish swimming past.
The sound of the wood as you walk toward your cottage on the deck. It has to be experienced.
Walking into the Adirondack suite we were instantly struck by the grandeur of the four poster canopy Adirondack bed.
The entire suite is decorated in Adirondack style featuring birch bark, twig and cedar columns, a stone fireplace and whirlpool bath. The suite provided unsurpassed views of both the Adirondack Mountains and Mirror Lake.
The bathroom was extremely spacious and the water pressure of the shower strong (always an appreciated feature)!
Again, everything is luxurious! Right down to the toiletries being used.
During our 2 nights stay we enjoyed breakfast at The View restaurant each morning and dinner one evening at The Cottage.
Breakfast at (aptly named) The View was spectacular. This opulent dining room and views of Mirror Lake and the Adirondack high peaks will leave you breathless.
I ordered their Orange Spice Flapjacks (made with a blend of spices and orange zest – finished with a dollop of sweetened orange scented cream cheese) the first morning I was there and the Belgian Waffle (served with fresh berries and Chantilly cream) the second morning.
Jennifer ordered the Brioche French Toast (thick cut French bread with accents of cinnamon and vanilla served with pure Adirondack Maple Syrup) the first morning and their Orange Spice Flapjacks the second morning.
We also tried side orders of fresh fruit, bacon, ham and eggs.
It is clear to see why The View has a 4 Diamond Award of Excellence. The food is incredible! They must use a light batter because none of the food had a “heavy” taste to it. Each bite overflowed with flavor. Delicious!
On our second night we stopped at The Cottage for a late night snack.
We enjoyed the Baked Brie appetizer which was topped with sliced apples, almonds, and a raspberry coulis. It was served with toasted bread and flat bread and was very, very enjoyable!
We then decided to share a slice of the raspberry cheesecake they had that evening which melted in our mouth and disappeared way too quickly! 😉
However, what sticks out more than anything was meeting Dustin, our waiter for the evening. This vivacious young man oozed with a passion for travel. We shared our many road trip stories with sheer enthusiasm! He explained how much he loved working The Cottage restaurant and how many great people he gets to come in contact with. It is situations like this, meeting someone like Dustin, that makes travel such a beautiful thing.
Another great experience was sitting on Adirondack chairs, out on the dock, late at night, watching a lone duck waddle back and forth and watching the stars illuminate the sky.
I looked over at Jen and told her to truly soak in this “magical moment”…..I felt so alive and appreciative to be experiencing such a beautiful location and property.
Since Jen and I arrived late the first night, we only had 1 full day to truly experience the resort and area. Unfortunately we did not have enough time to check out their spa, pool or fitness center. Next time for sure!
- Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa is located on seven acres on a hilltop overlooking the Adirondack high peaks and on Mirror Lake.
- The resort has three onsite restaurants: The View, Taste Bistro & Bar and The Cottage.
- There are 29 fireplaces throughout the inn.
- The resort has a work-out room, tennis court and heated outside pool overlooking Mirror Lake.
- There is an on-site spa & salon.
- Jacuzzi and saunas are accessible.
- The resort provides complimentary row boats, paddle boats, canoes and kayaks on Mirror Lake
- The resort has a private beach on Mirror Lake.
- The resort has on-site concierge service.
- Cell phones are not allowed in public areas.
- Smoking is not allowed inside the inn.
- Wi-Fi is available throughout the inn.
“ON BEING GREEN” – For more than 60 years, the Mirror Lake Inn has been committed to maintaining a high level of environmental stewardship. They strive to integrate environmentally sound growth concepts in an effort to reduce their carbon footprint, while maintaining the level of comfort and luxury guests expect. Click here for more info.
- There are 100 guestrooms and 31 suites.
- On the shore of Mirror Lake the Lake Cottage and Colonial House Ultimate Suites provide exceptional views.
- All rooms have views of the mountains and lakes and most have a terrace.
- All rooms have a DVD player and iPod jacks.
- A CD of ambient music is always playing in guest rooms upon arrival.
- There are bath robes in every room.
- Safes in every room.
- Luxury Frette linens.
- Beds are triple sheeted.
- Bath products are by Gilchrist & Soames.
- All suites have handmade furniture by Harden.
- The View offers AAA Four-Diamond dining in a warm, relaxed atmosphere. Executive Chef Jarrad Lang and his culinary team work closely with local and regional meat producers and cheese and vegetable to provide guests with a memorable, flavorful and healthy dining experience.
- Taste Bistro and Bar provides a bistro style menu featuring seasonal and local ingredients. It also offers the most extensive spirit list in Lake Placid as well as live music.
- The Cottage is a cozy eatery and neighborhood-style bar with a waterfront deck surrounded by fabulous views of the Adirondack high peaks on the edge of Mirror Lake. The menu features unique twists on pub-style favorites.
- Afternoon tea is served everyday in the inn’s lobby from 3:30-4:30pm.
- Homemade chocolate chip cookies are offered at the front desk.
- Open 8am-8pm daily.
- 6,600 square feet.
- Unique body treatments such as the spa’s signature Adirondack maple sugar body scrub, a seaweed body wrap, specialty treatments with the spa’s European Soft Pack System and Vichy Shower, just to name a few.
- Specialized massage therapy such as heated river stone therary, Craniosacral therapy, Reiki, Thai massage, reflexology, pregnancy massage and more.
- Facials such as a custom facial, signature facial, microdermbrasion, medical grade peels, the balancing four layer facial, and more.
- Plush sanctuaries accented in marble and mahogany with fireplaces, whirlpools, steam rooms and grooming areas.
- The Salon offers complete hair, nail and waxing services.
OUTDOOR RECREATION FAQS:
- Six million acres of wilderness surround the inn which is prefect for hiking, biking, rock climbing, canoeing, kayaking, whitewater rafting, ice climbing, snowshoeing, and just about anything else you can think of.
- Located in the Olympic Village and offers access to: alpine skiing, cross country skiing, hockey, speed skating, bobsledding, skeleton, luge, curling, and ski jumping.
- The inn’s concierge service offers classes and outdoor adventure programs for adults and children.
PROGRAMS FOR CHILDREN:
- Magic show
- Family yoga
- Guided outings
- Craft time
- S’mores on the beach
- Family dining program: House guests with children under the age of 12 eat free off of the children’s menu at the 5:30 seating.
- On Mirror Lake in Lake Placid, NY.
- Two minute walk to Main Street and the Lake Placid Marina.
- Thirty minutes from I-87.
- Two hours from Montreal, Albany, or Burlington.
- Four hours from Syracuse.
- Five hours from New York, Boston and Toronto.
- One hour from Plattsburgh and Plattsburgh International Airport.
- Private and commuter airline service is available at Lake Placid Airport and Adirondack Regional Airport.
- Built in 1883 as a private home.
- Opened to guests in 1924.
- Purchased by current owners Edwin and Lisa Weibrecht in 1976.
- In 1988 the main building was lost in a fire but was rebuilt that same year.
- The inn had some first in the Lake Placid area including the first electric rope-tow, snowmaking machine, and bobsled track, all located on Dream Hill behind the property.
- The inn retains an old-world feel with mahogany accents and antique stained-glass windows.
Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa offers packages throughout the year. Click here for the latest deals.
MEETINGS & WEDDINGS:Plan your next corporate retreat or Wedding at Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa! Click here for more information.
ACTIVITIES / EVENTS & AMMENITIES:
GAY & LESBIAN FACTOR: My partner and I found Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa to be extremely welcoming. We felt comfortable being openly affectionate in and around the resort and Lake Placid area in general. Kate Monohan, publicist & editorial content coordinator, was extremely helpful in setting our review up. We also encountered two other gay couples during our stay. The inn is very romantic and would make an excellent honeymoon spot or romantic weekend getaway. I am most certainly “OUTING” Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa as LGBT friendly and worthy of our business and although I don’t know of any specific LGBT gay bars in the Lake Placid area, I can honestly say you should feel safe and comfortable anywhere in this region. One of the most gay friendly places we checked out, outside of Mirror Lake Inn, was The Lake Placid Pub & Brewery. This would make a nice stop to enjoy a drink, some yummy pub food and outside seating.
Mirror Lake Inn was a dream getaway. From the moment we arrived to our sad departure we enjoyed ourselves. The lodge itself, the accommodations, the restaurants, lake and mountain views, amenities, friendly service and convenient location to Lake Placid’s Main Street make this the ultimate spot when visiting the Lake Placid Region.
True luxury in every sense of the word.
I cannot wait to return!
Out & About Travel / Gay Travel Information Blog