Orchid Key Inn – Key West, Florida
Gay Travel Information
Orchid Key Inn / 1004 Duval Street / Key West, FL 33040 / 1-305-296-9915
The Orchid Key Inn is the type place you will want to return to time and time again.
The Orchid Key Inn is a 4-star boutique hotel true and true. It is unique in design, housed in a vintage-styled motel.
But there is nothing “motel” about the accommodations or amenities. The rooms are stylish and provide impeccable amenities. You will find such features as an onsite bar, large pool + spa and continental breakfast.
The staff go above & beyond “the standard” of service and will make your stay truly memorable. Brandon at the front desk was so gracious and hospitable to my wife Jennifer and I during our 2-night stay this past May. He explained how he could assist with setting up reservations at any of island’s restaurants or sightseeing / activity tours. He was truly eager to assist and make our stay as comfortable and memorable as possible.
Brandon, you succeeded!
As I looked around the lobby I was impressed by the cleanliness of everything. I mean — EVERYTHING was spotless. The type clean where someone would say, “It’s so clean you can eat of the floor!” THAT kind of clean! 🙂 And, as the saying goes, cleanliness is next to godliness, so hallelujah!!
Jen and I were lucky enough to stay in a Junior Spa Suite. Ooh, baby! The second we stepped inside our room we were blown away.
The handsome spa style bathroom was stunning with its glass doors, Pure Air Jacuzzi bath, and spa quality bath amenities.
Oh, and I loved that the toilet was in a separate small room across from the bathroom area!
The room also has a super comfortable king-size bed, blackout curtains (always appreciated!), sitting area with couch, bar, mini-fridge, Keurig Coffee Maker, 42″ HD- Plasma TV (both in the living room and bedroom), telephone w/ voicemail, free Wi-Fi, security digital safe, iron / ironing board, Egyptian Cotton bath robes for two, individual climate control, and i-Home iPod radio systems.
Orchid Key Inn is located on Duval Street and Truman Avenue, right at the very crossroads of Historic Old Town Key West. You are steps away from everything the island is famous for, however, the hotel IS located on what is known more as “the quiet side of Duval” and I can attest to that.
During our two night stay we had no real problems with noise. We heard a few passerby’s every now and then, but it was perfectly quiet after 11 PM, which is when most of Duval Stret starts to party! 😉
In the morning we were treated to the hotel’s wonderful complimentary continental breakfast which consisted of pastries, fruits, breads, cereal, fresh yogurt parfaits, juices, coffee and more!
GOOD TO KNOW:
- The Orchid Key has a large heated pool and spa
- The Orchid Bar offers creativity, freshness and high quality ingredients. They use fresh herbs, vegetables, fruits, infused liquors and popular elixirs. The bar team presents culinary-inspired, seasonally changing cocktails that are masterpieces in their own right. Beverages are prepared fresh daily by one of the finest mixologists’ on the island. The bar is located adjacent to the lobby and pool garden. It is open (just about) every day serving breakfast until 10 AM and poolside service begins at 1 PM until they decide to close. All guests that check-in are given a couple of tickets for free drinks valid during happy hours of 5-7 PM.
- Free daily continental breakfast is provided.
- Free Wi-Fi & Wire Internet Access.
- Reduced rate onsite parking available for $8 per day.
- Located on (the quiet end) of historic Duval Street!
- 24 Guest Rooms and Suites.
- ADA accessible.
- The staff will happily arrange dinner reservations, sightseeing tours and activities for you. They are available 24 hours a day.
- The staff can arrange bicycle rentals to be delivered to the hotel for your enjoyment.
- The Orchid Key is located one block from the Hemingway House, Historic Light House, and just a short walk to water sports, art galleries, theaters, bars, restaurants and beaches.
- Tranquil waterfalls and water features fill the air as you near their peaceful sun deck, heated pool, and spa. I found the waterfalls to be extremely relaxing and such a nice touch to the already beautifully landscaped grounds.
LET’S MAKE ORCHID KEY BLUSH, SHALL WE?
- Orchid Key Inn was ranked in the top 10 “Best Small Hotels in the United States” by the Miami Herald.
- Orchid Key Inn received the Travelers Choice Award and was listed in the Top 10 among the nation’s top 25 small hotels for 2013! Selections were based on millions of reviews and opinions covering more than 650,000 hotels. The reviews are collected in a single year from travelers around the world, according to a TripAdvisor news release!
- Orchid Key Inn has a 97% rating on TripAdvisor and is ranked # 2 out of 41 hotels in Key West. Pretty impressive, no?
GAY & LESBIAN FACTOR: This is Key West. The end. No, no, no……In all seriousness, Orchid Key Inn couldn’t be any more perfect for the LGBT traveler. Not only are you close to all the LGBT nightlife on Duval Street, you are also supporting a LGBT owned business. Yes, that is right! Orchid Key Inn is owned by John and his partner Bill. To me, everything about Key West is perfection. That is why it continues to be one of my most favorite travel destinations. The quirky nature of it’s down-to-earth locals, the beautiful beaches, art galleries, restaurants, cafes, nightclubs, theaters and “everyone is accepted” mentality make Key West the special place it is. From street roaming cocks (hey now), double pawed pussy cats, fabulous drag queens, sinfully delicious key lime pie (what diet?), around-the-clock live music and the most beautiful sunset in the world, Key West is a MUST visit for EVERYONE. Brandon, or any of the hotel staff, would be more than happy to make your Key West trip as perfect as possible. Although it is not needed, I am “OUTING” The Orchid Key Inn as a gay & lesbian paradise worthy of our business!
So, the cat is out of the bag. The beans have been spilled. My lips are no longer sealed. Mum is no longer the word. The mouse is no longer quiet.
As if Orchid Key Inn was ever REALLY a secret…..
I guess that is the beauty of this place.
No matter how popular it is (and how more popular it becomes), The Orchid Key Inn will always offer that special feeling of exclusivity.
A feeling that only a select few properties in a sea of hundreds of thousands accomplish.
Ah yes, Orchid Key Inn….my own personal oasis.
See you soon!
Owner / Editor in Chief
Out & About Travel / Gay Travel Information