Gay Travel Information – Morey’s Piers and Beachfront Waterparks – Wildwood, NJ
Move over Disney! Morey’s Piers, located in Wildwood, NJ on the infamous Jersey Shore, is a magical, affordable, safe destination worthy of some serious applause!
Morey’s Piers is a true classic seaside amusement park and I have fallen hard for it. The excitement of the three amusement piers, two waterparks and bustling boardwalk transported me back to when I was a young girl.
I remember that feeling of “butterflies” as we approached our local seaside amusement park here in Rhode Island. There was nothing more exciting than pulling up to that huge welcome sign and catching a glimpse of the park.
That is the EXACT feeling I experienced as I approached Morey’s Piers.
It was everything I had hoped for and more.
The image you have in your head of people strolling the boardwalk, seagulls soaring overhead, the aroma of fried dough & cotton candy, playful banter of game attendants, music blaring from T-shirt shops, larger than life neon signs, screams of excitement from those on thrill rides all exist here at Morey’s Piers.
Family owned & operated for 43 years (opened in 1969), Morey’s Piers is ranked in the top 3 Best Seaside Amusement Parks in the world. Their waterparks, Ocean Oasis & Raging Waters, are among the 5 best waterparks in the country.
With over 100 rides and attractions spanning over eighteen acres along six beach blocks, Morey’s Piers is larger than Disneyland!
Between the excitement of an amusement park and the sights and sounds of a classic boardwalk, Morey’s Piers is a must experience destination. It’s location is convenient to the major population centers of the Northeast and is located less than one hour from Atlantic City.
Morey’s motto is “To provide a spectacular experience in an extremely safe, clean, friendly & unique environment.” They certainly stay true to this promise!
Actually, one of the first things I noticed was how CLEAN each of the three amusement piers and boardwalk were.
Morey’s Piers three amusement parks include: Mariner’s Landing Pier, Surfside Pier and Adventure Pier.
- Mariner’s Landing offers the atmosphere of a traditional amusement park. With classics like the Super Scooters, Teacups, Musik Express and the Giant Wheel. Mariner’s Landing takes families back to the turn of the century when life was simpler. Its also the place to experience Breakfast in the Sky, a gourmet, white linen and china breakfast on the Giant Wheel, offering spectacular views of the ocean and all of Wildwoods. Here, you’ll find some of the best games of luck and skill along with Mariner’s Arcade, one of the largest arcades in Wildwood! Enjoy some delicious Boardwalk treats like pretzels, fried oreos, ice cream and more. Don’t miss the best milkshakes in the world at Sweets ‘n Treats. If you’re in the mood for a delicious, sit-down family meal, visit Jumbo’s Boardwalk Grille for wraps, seafood, sandwiches and Chef Wally J’s famous Cuban spiced fries!
- Surfside Pier is a colorful seaside carnival. It was the first of three piers, opening in 1969 with a giant fiberglass slide that cost 25 cents to ride. Surfside Pier mixes a variety of kiddie rides with family thrills like the Zoom Phloom and Flitzer in an environment fueled by neon colors, bright lights and music. Between the impeccable dining experience at Joe’s Fish Co. and the tranquility of Ocean Oasis Waterpark and Beach Club, Surfside Pier offers a full package of family entertainment.
- Adventure Pier truly lives up to its name! Featuring lots of Xtreme rides, the Grand Prix Raceway and the famous wooden coaster The Great White, this high octane pier can certainly leave heads spinning and families laughing. Experience a highly interactive amusement environment like no other at the Jersey Shore. From the interactive family rides and attractions to thrilling Xtreme rides like the Skycoaster and Skyscraper, everyone will find their fun zone!
Morey’s Piers two waterparks include:
- Raging Waters Waterpark – Inspired by shipwrecks, this waterpark looks and feels like it might have just washed up one day ready for families to enjoy! Raging Waters offers two unique kiddie play areas at Shipwreck Shoals and Camp KidTastrophe along with speed slides, Shotgun Falls and an activity pool full of challenges for the whole family. New for 2012, embark on an endless expedition into family fun. Morey’s Piers have completely renovated the lazy river into River Adventure complete with geysers, waterfalls, rocks and even a snack bar that offers in-river refreshment! Jen and I were lucky enough to check Raging Waters out and absolutely loved it! We had a private cabana which provided a nice retreat and shade from the sun. There was even someone who took food/drink orders that would check in on us every 20 minutes. Towels are available to rent with a $10 deposit, which you get back once you return the towel. Our favorite part of the park was the Lazy River, which we spent close to 2 hours enjoying! 😉
A true tropical island getaway, Ocean Oasis Waterpark & Beach Club offers massage services, family activities, private cabana rentals, hammocks & exquisite dining at Oasis Cafe. Ocean Oasis is the perfect blend of fun and tranquility. Chill out in a private family cabana or indulge in their soothing professional spa and massage services. Water attractions include a Bonsai Beach children’s themed area, tons of speed and tube slides, an endless river and adult relaxation pool with a swim up bar. Enjoy some of the best tropical food on the island while overlooking the ocean at Ocean Oasis Cafe. New for 2012, Wipeout Racer Slide! You can race with up to 6 friends or family members at once head first to the finish line!
- There is a wide assortment of ticket options include season passes, all day ride pass for Morey’s three piers, all day ride pass for Morey’s three piers and two waterparks, waterpark only admission, single ride tickets etc., Click HERE for options.
SPECIAL DEALS FOR EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK!
- Morey’s Piers offers special deals each day of the week. For a complete listing of what is available click HERE.
- Check out Morey’s ride chooser to find what rides best suit you! Click HERE for information.
- For a list of games available at Morey’s Piers click HERE.
- Morey’s Piers offers a wide range of dining options. Everything from California cuisine to seafood to cotton candy! We had the pleasure of dining at Wildwood’s # 1 rated restaurant, Jersey Girl (check out our review in a separate posting). For a complete listing click HERE.
RESORTS: Morey Resorts feature everything from luxury beachfront resorts, properties right near the boardwalk to private residences. You can find a complete listing HERE:
My partner and I had the pleasure of staying at the Doo Wop era Starlux Boutique Hotel, located just one block from the boardwalk and Wildwoods Convention Center.
The Starlux is a cross between “The Jetsons meet I Love Lucy!” It is pure retro chic and absolutely fabulous!
How could you not love a room with a royal blue microwave, lava lamp and enough swirls and circles to make you feel “far out”? 😉
Our 2 bedroom suite not only had one of the most comfortable beds we have ever slept on, but also a private balcony with a view of the boardwalk located one block away.
There is a wide range of room types available, including the opportunity to stay in an authentic Airstream Trailer (how cool is that???)
You can find a complete list of room options HERE.
The Starlux is teaming with amenities which include:
- Exclusive pricing on Morey’s Piers Passes.
- Year-round hot tub.
- Free Wi-Fi in all rooms.
- Complimentary Continental Breakfast (May 1st-October 15th).
- The most exciting pool on the Jersey Shore (seasonally heated for your comfort).
- Game room with pool table.
- All rooms equipped with microwave, coffee maker, and refrigerator.
- Modern, comfortable accommodations (your choice of designer suites with kitchenette facilities or a deluxe guest room).
- Wheelchair-accessible rooms available.
- Easy-access guest laundry.
- Ice machine.
- Free parking – 1 car per room.
- Beach gear.
- Complimentary bike rentals.
- Complimentary BBQ grill usage.
- Complimentary DVD library.
- Starlux offers packages throughout the year. Click HERE for a list of options.
I also want to note that the staff was extremely down to earth and friendly, especially Jackie who had an infectious personality and great sense of humor! 🙂
For a complete list of Morey Resorts click HERE.
GAY & LESBIAN FACTOR: As an ongoing effort we have been reviewing “family friendly” destinations this summer to see just how gay friendly they are. I am happy to report that I found Morey’s Piers and Wildwood, NJ as a whole to be LGBT friendly. Sure there aren’t any gay nightclubs to be found and yes, it is a very popular “straight” family destination, however, with that said, my partner and I felt extremely welcome and comfortable exploring Morey’s Piers, staying at The Starlux Hotel and walking around Wildwood, NJ. We saw plenty of gay men and women and several gay families, which was an awesome thing to experience during our stay. We spoke with one gay couple from Red Bank, NJ that said they take their two kids to Wildwood every summer. Also, Wildwood is less than an hour from gay popular Atlantic City and less than 2 hours from the gay resort beach town of Rehoboth Beach, Delaware and, of course, the very gay friendly Philadelphia, PA.
I have already recommended Morey’s Piers to close friends and clients, that is how confidant I am in this destination. Gay or straight, Morey’s Piers would make a perfection family vacation with it’s amusement piers, boardwalk, beaches and luxury accommodations. It is an affordable, safe, clean, FUN destination and should be on everybody’s “must experience” list.
The workers I was in contact with prior and during my stay were super friendly and hospitable and welcomed Gay Travel Information with open arms.
I, without a doubt, feel confident in “OUTING” Morey’s Piers / Wildwood, NJ as LGBT friendly and worthy of our business.
There are so many things I will remember about our trip to Wildwood, NJ. Arriving late Friday night, just as the beautiful fireworks were going off over the beach (firework shows are every Friday evening at 10pm during the summer) as 50’s Doo Wop music and ‘Brown Eyed Girl’ played. The tempting smells of boardwalk treats such as popcorn, cotton candy, pizza and fried dough. The neon lights and rides glowing in the distance. The cool ocean breeze. Seeing Jen’s expression of excitement as she got off The Great Nor’easter Roller Coaster. Acting like kids on Dante’s Dungeon dark ride. Floating lazily in Raging Waters gorgeous new lazy river and relaxing in a private cabana. Listening to acoustic music and enjoying delicious food at Jersey Girl. Trying to win Jen a stuffed animal. Buying silly T-shirts at one of the many boardwalk T-shirt shops. Hearing classic 80’s rock-n-roll blasting from stores along the boardwalk. Dining at several 50’s themed diners. Driving up and down Ocean Ave, looking at all motel neon signs. Watching nighttime lightening. Sleeping by the glow of a lava lamp. The sounds of the casinos as we walked up and down the boardwalk. The ease of finding parking. The tram car message to “please watch the tram car.” The sounds of (joyful) screaming as people rode roller coasters. Starlux Hotel’s comfortable bed and friendly service!
But the thing I will remember most is the FEELING I got the first time I set foot on the boardwalk. That nostalgic feeling of my youth. The butterflies in my stomach and pure joy that overtook me.
Give the mouse a break and head down to Morey’s Piers in Wildwood, New Jersey.
You’ll “fall hard”, trust me. It’s impossible not to love this place.
Out & About Travel / Gay Travel Information Blog